HRP-MN’s recent conference called “From Surviving to Thriving…Lessons from the Past…Advice for the Future” was a great success. The training event for HR Professionals was held at the Ramada Hotel in Bloomington, MN on April 13, 2011. HR Professionals received 4.25 credits toward certification for their participation.
Eleven former presidents accepted the challenge of sharing their lessons from the past and providing advice for the future. The former HRP-MN Presidents included Brenda Devlin, Philomena Morrissey Satre, Janice Downing, Joel Krueger, Max Pegors, Maureen Rehfuss, Debra Dorgan, Beth Gilbertsen Betts, Cecelia Keenan, Becky Bjorgum and Mary Ellen Leary.
More than 120 HR Professionals participated in the all-day event along with 27 sponsors. Presentations included keynotes and panel discussions. Following is a summary of the highlights from the conference:
- Brenda Devlin kicked off our day by presenting “Driving Culture Change”. Her parting final quote was, “When Patterns are broken, new worlds emerge”.
- Brenda was followed by Philomena Morrissey Satre’s presentation, “Traveling through Life at the Speed of Light”. Philomena led us into a wonderful presentation on Work Life Balance.
- Our first panel was entitled “Lessons from the Past”. This group was made up by Janice Downing, Joel Krueger, Max Pegors and Maureen Rehfuss. The former presidents led a discussion of recent trends in technology, higher education and changes in business climate.
- After lunch, Debra Dorgan presented, “Compliance: One Perspective from Both Sides of the Table”. Debra’s information included research on a continued increase in EEOC charges in recent years and Employer Best Practices.
- The final panel of the day provided “Advice for the Future”. The former presidents presenting included Beth Gilbertsen Betts, Cecelia Keenan, Becky Bjorgum and Mary Ellen Leary. Advice for new HR Professionals was presented as well as a discussion of “The Future of HR”.
Feedback received was very positive including this comment by Karen Gureghian, this year’s HRP-MN President, “I thoroughly enjoyed the day and I really appreciate the work from everyone to make this event successful.”
The former presidents enjoyed the conference as well. Janice Downing stated in her summary statement, “Thank you for all of the rich insights you shared and I’m honored to be one of you.”
A fall conference is planned for October 12, 2011.
Thank you to our Conference Sponsors/Vendors!
Published by Human Resource Professionals of Minnesota, April 13, 2011:
read more about the event here: